Dallas Medical College: 1900-1904
by Paula Bosse
Photos from the UT Southwestern Library (click for larger image)
by Paula Bosse
Between 1900 and 1910, Dallas had ELEVEN medical schools, some of dubious distinction. One of the earliest and most successful was Dallas Medical College, an offshoot of Trinity University which was eventually merged with Baylor College of Medicine. It was located on Commerce St. near Akard, neighbors with a fire station and the City Hall (the Adolphus Hotel now occupies this site). Here are several photos from the Dallas Medical College archives, showing three typical medical students engaging in typical medical school hijinks.
Dallas Morning News, Feb. 3, 1901
The school’s first location on S. Ervay & Marilla (DMN, Feb. 3, 1901)
Southern Mercury, Nov. 10, 1904
The official announcement of the merging, with details on how the two schools would function for the rest of the school year can be read here.
Sources & Notes
Photographs from the UT Southwestern Library, here and here.
More on early medical schools in Texas, with several paragraphs on Dallas, can be found in “Training the Healers” by Vernie A. Stembridge, M.D., an article from the May, 1999 issue of Heritage magazine (a publication of the Texas Historical Foundation) which can be read here.
Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.
[…] their website. But, briefly, there had been medical schools in Dallas in the past (including the Dallas Medical College at the turn of the century), but by the time World War II had arrived, the Baylor University […]