by Paula Bosse
This photograph appeared in The Dallas Morning News on December 5, 1909 under the headline, “Fire Station Lately Erected in the Oak Lawn District.”
“Hook & Ladder Company No. 4” (now known as the more prosaic “Station No. 11”), was designed by noted architects Hubbell & Greene. It was built at Cedar Springs Road and Reagan Street in 1909 as the first “suburban” fire station in Dallas. Still a working firehouse, the Mission Revival building is a designated historic landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Another photo of the historic firehouse, from a 1931 publication, captioned “No. 11 Engine Co., Cedar Springs & Reagan”:
Sources & Notes
1909 Dallas Morning News photograph by Clogenson.
Color image of the station as it looks today from Google Street View.
Second black-and-white photograph is from The Man in the Leather Helmet: A Souvenir Booklet of The Dallas Fire Department (1931), via the Portal to Texas History.
For more on the history of this historic fire station, see the page devoted to it on the Dallas Fire Rescue Department website, here.
Click pictures for larger images.
Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.