No. 4 Hook and Ladder Company, Oak Lawn — 1909

by Paula Bosse

fire-station_oak-lawn_clogenson_dmn_120509smOak Lawn Fire Station, 1909 (click for larger image)

by Paula Bosse

This photograph appeared in The Dallas Morning News on December 5, 1909 under the headline, “Fire Station Lately Erected in the Oak Lawn District.”

“Hook & Ladder Company No. 4” (now known as the more prosaic “Station No. 11”), was designed by noted architects Hubbell & Greene. It was built at Cedar Springs Road and Reagan Street in 1909 as the first “suburban” fire station in Dallas. Still a working firehouse, the Mission Revival building is a designated historic landmark and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

firehouse-oak-lawn_google

***

1909 Dallas Morning News photograph by Clogenson.

Color image of the station as it looks today from Google Street View.

For more on the history of this historic fire station, see the page devoted to it on the Dallas Fire Rescue Department website, here.

Click pictures for larger images.

*

Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements