A Dip in the HP Pool — 1924
by Paula Bosse
by Paula Bosse
Even though “municipal pool” and “Park Cities” don’t really seem to belong in a sentence together, the still-going-strong pool in Highland Park is over 90 years old. The photo above shows crowds gathered at the formal opening of the brand new Highland Park swimming pool, dedicated on May 17, 1924. Below is the photo and article that appeared in The Dallas Morning News.
Oh, to have witnessed the fabulously wealthy (or near-fabulously wealthy) sashaying down the street toward the pool, dressed in their mandated bathrobes and swimsuits. Or their raincoats and swimsuits.
The municipal pool is in Davis Park on the south side of Lexington Avenue, in the “natural amphitheater” between St. Johns and Drexel. The 50 x 100-foot pool (reduced somewhere along the way from the original plan of a 60 x 140-foot pool) cost about $10,000 when it was built with municipal funds in 1924. The pool was very popular amongst Highland Park residents, and, as can be seen in the photos, it was located in one of the prettiest settings in Dallas.
Top photo is from a postcard issued as part of the Park Cities Bank “Heritage Series” in the 1970s; the credit line on the postcard reads “Donated by Mr. Burton Gilliland.” Thanks to the Lone Star Library Annex Facebook group for use of the image. (The printed description of the postcard has an incorrect date of 1923.)
Clippings from The Dallas Morning News, as noted.
Official site of the HP pool? Here it is.
Photos larger when clicked.
Copyright © 2015 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.