World War II “Victory Huts” at Parkland

by Paula Bosse

parkland-victory-huts_c1945_utswPhoto: UT Southwestern Library

by Paula Bosse

Above are a row of “Victory Huts,” behind the old Parkland Hospital at Maple & Oak Lawn, circa 1945. The description of the photo from the UTSW Library:

“Victory Huts” were prefabricated buildings developed during World War II as a method of providing quick housing for soldiers. The white “Victory Huts” behind the Parkland Nurses’ Home are believed to have been used first as housing for recovering servicemen during World War II, then after the war as housing for nursing students.

Victory Huts were the brainchild of builder H. F. Pettigrew and wealthy Dallas businessman Winfield Morten. Read about the beginnings of their wildly popular prefab buildings here.

Below, an ad from the Dallas company that manufactured them, Texas Pre-Fabricated House and Tent Co.:

victory-huts_texas-historical-commission_flickr

***

Sources & Notes

Top photo and quote are from the Parkland Hospital Collection at the UT Southwestern Library, accessible here.

Advertisement from the Flickr stream of the Texas Historical Commission, here.

Victory Huts were widely used during World War II, as cheap housing for military personnel, military families, and as housing in internment camps. See the huts as they were used for Japanese/enemy alien internment camps in Texas, at Camp Kenedy, at Crystal City, and at Dodd Field/Fort Sam Houston.

Click pictures to see larger images.

*

Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

 

Advertisements