Lincoln High School — 1939

by Paula Bosse

lincoln-high-school_1939The cool deco design of Lincoln High School (click for larger image)

by Paula Bosse

When it opened on eleven acres in South Dallas in 1939, Lincoln High School was one of the largest high schools in Dallas, and one of the largest African-American high schools in the entire South. Shockingly, in 1939 it was one of only TWO (!) high school for black students in Dallas. As one would expect, its opening was greeted with great enthusiasm, and students rushed to enroll, pushing its capacity to a maximum. At its height, it had over 3,000 students. The building was designed by architect Walter C. Sharp, who designed many schools in and around Dallas, and with those clean lines and glass bricks, it’s pretty cool.

***

Photo from the J. L. Patton Collection, Dallas Historical Society.

Article on the dedication ceremony from the Dallas Morning News, Jan. 25, 1939.

For more on the background of Lincoln High School, see the info from the “Open Plaques” project here.

Click photo for larger image.

*

Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements