Elm Street — 1920s

by Paula Bosse

elm-street_1920s_melba

by Paula Bosse

Above, a 1920s postcard showing Elm Street looking west from about where the Majestic Theatre is now. The lovely Melba Theatre can be seen at the right, with its sign partially visible. Originally opened as the Hope Theatre in 1922, it was renamed the Melba in October 1922 and became the Capri on Christmas Day 1959. West of the Melba is the tall red brick Dallas Athletic Club Building. Both of these buildings were demolished in 1981. (Also demolished about the same time were the Kress Building, the Volk Building, and the Baker Hotel. 1981 was a bad year to be an old building in Dallas.)

capri-demolition_dmn_042481
Dallas Morning News, April 24, 1981 (click to read)

The same view today can be seen here.

Click for larger images.

*

Copyright © 2016 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements