Dallas’ Film Row — 1918
by Paula Bosse
Looking east from Elm and Akard… (click for larger image)
by Paula Bosse
A 1918 photograph of Elm Street taken at the corner of Akard, looking east, showing the old Queen Theater (later the Leo; torn down to build the Dallas Federal Savings and Loan Building), the Jefferson Theater, and the Old Mill Theater.
Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.
[…] More info on the 1918 photo of Elm Street, which was featured in the post “Dallas’ Film Row — 1918,” here. […]
Great post, Paula.
At this point in time the Jefferson was called the Pantages – affiliated with the vaudeville circuit of the same name. Later, the Pantages circuit became locally affiliated with the Melba Theatre under Loew’s ownership. As you probably know, the scenery and other stage trappings of traveling shows unloaded from trains that stopped by stage doors that opened onto Pacific Avenue, where the railroad tracks then ran before that part of the Kessler redesign was implemented.
Thanks, Steve. It actually remained the Jefferson through the Pantages-affiliated years (1917-1920). When the Pantages circuit moved to the Hippodrome, the Jefferson became part of the Loew’s circuit. The Jefferson was renamed the Pantages at the end of 1925 (“…$20,000 improvements to the Jefferson Theater, which will be known as the Pantages Theater after Sunday night…” — DMN, Dec. 8, 1925). The theater was originally named the Garden — it became the Ritz in 1928.
The photo was taken in 1918 (the marquee shows “Conquered Hearts” starring Marguerite Marsh which opened at the Queen on Sept. 8, 1918).