Downtown Horse-Trading — ca. 1912

by Paula Bosse

by Paula Bosse

This fantastic photo — taken between about 1912 and 1915 — shows a horse-trading day, taking place around S. Houston and Jackson streets.

Chenoweth’s Feed Store and wagon yard at Houston and Commerce was the scene of monthly trades days or First Mondays from the 1880s into the twentieth century. The crowd spilled over into the streets, blocking passage but no one complained. The old red courthouse survived.

***

Photo from the UT Southwestern Library.

Caption by A. C. Greene from his book Dallas, The Deciding Years (Austin: Encino Press, 1973).

Even though it seems very late to see horses in downtown Dallas, this photo appears to have been taken between 1912 and 1915 when Charles B. Tatum owned a saloon at the corner of Commerce and S. Houston (his sign can be seen painted on the wall facing Houston Street at the left). The MKT Building can be seen at the top right of the photo, indicating that this photo was taken west of S. Houston, almost to Jackson (the old county jail would have been behind the photographer. The same view today can be seen here.

The wagon yard Greene mentions can be seen in the 1905 Sanborn map, here.

Click photo for larger image.

*

Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements