Red Bryan’s Smokehouse — BBQ, Oak Cliff-Style

by Paula Bosse

by Paula Bosse

Everybody in Dallas knows about the Bryan family barbecue dynasty, which began when Elias Bryan and his wife Sadie arrived in Oak Cliff from Cincinnati in 1910 and opened a barbecue stand. Elias begat Red, and Red begat Sonny. And there was much trans-generational smoking of meat. The Bryans have been a BBQ fixture in Dallas for over 100 years.

Fun facts about William Jennings “Red” Bryant:

  • Red studied botany at SMU, which might explain his initial career as a florist until he was inevitably pulled back into the family business. He opened his first place in the early 1930s in a retired Interurban car, known affectionately as “The Tin Shack.”
  • In the late ’40s, now well established and wanting swankier digs, he commissioned the respected architect Charles Dilbeck to design the new restaurant. (Dilbeck designed some of the most beautiful homes in Dallas, several of which are in Lakewood, but this was probably his first — and only — barbecue joint.)

And the rest is, as they say, barbecue — and Oak Cliff — history.

***

Top ad from the Dallas Times Herald, February 5, 1956.

Oak Cliff’s “Man of the Month” photo from The Dallas Morning News, July 5, 1951.

Great article on Red Bryan’s Smokehouse, with lots of photos of its construction, here.

Sonny Bryan’s website is here.

*

Copyright © 2014 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements