The Inwood Theatre

by Paula Bosse

theater_inwood_oct_1954_d-mag_dplSeven years after opening, in 1954… (click for larger image)

by Paula Bosse

The Inwood Theatre opened at Lovers Lane and Inwood Road on May 16, 1947. Even though the surrounding neighborhood has changed pretty dramatically over the years, the exterior of the H. F. Pettigrew-designed building looks pretty much the same today. Happily, the 69-year old movie theater is still in business. (Click photos and articles for larger images.)

inwood_dmn-071645Dallas Morning News, July 16, 1945

inwood_dmn_051047
DMN, May 10, 1947

inwood_dmn_051447
DMN, May 14, 1947

inwood_dmn_051647_grand-opening
The Grand OpeningDMN, May 16, 1947

theater_inwood_cinema-treasures via Cinema Treasures

inwood_1947_d-mag_dplvia D Magazine

theater_inwood_instagram_architexasvia Architexas on Instagram

inwood_el-chico_dmn-websitevia Dallas Morning News

inwood_dmn_051947_ad-det
Ad detail, DMN, May 19, 1947

inwood_dmn_051147_ad-det
Ad detail, DMN, May 11, 1947

***

Top photo from D Magazine, here; from the Texas/Dallas History and Archives Division, Dallas Public Library. If you zoom in, there seems to be some drama going on inside one of those parked cars:

inwood_1954-zoom

Pictures and articles larger when clicked.

*

Copyright © 2016 Paula Bosse. All Rights Reserved.

Advertisements